Announcements

Our blog has been updated recently on 10 July 2009.

NOTE: Lure Addicts Blog main purpose is to share a group of anglers' passion for lure fishing & conservation.

Contents

Catch Reports | Photos | Tips & Tricks | Tackle Talk | Tide | Moon Phase | Weather

Lure Addicts Blog

My photo
A blog by a group of anglers addicted to the sport of lure fishing. Lure fishing is a pro-active technique of fishing where the angler entices a fish to strike an artificial bait. Lure fishing continues to gain popularity as anglers discover the thrill & satisfaction of luring. Anglers dedicated to the art of luring never stop perfecting their skill. The primary purpose of our blog is to share our passion for lure angling.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Reidy's Big B52 - My favourite lure for the month!



Setup: Casting
Lure: Reidy's Big B52 (150mm)
Fish: Barracuda, 9lb

Action started early this luring session. I felt something inhale my Big B52 softly and cautiously, but before I could strike, the fish released the lure. A buddy using his Junior B52 also had two strikes, one very obviously by a barracuda from the teeth marks left on the lure. Both times, however, he did not manage to set hook well and failed to make something out of his strikes. Another kaki also missed an opportunity of landing the first fish when a table-sized grouper somehow manage to spit the lure as it came near.

Soon after these multiple bites during the first half-hour of fishing, I snagged a Reidy's Rubber & had to re-tie my leader. After tying, I hooked on my favourite orange Big B52 and on the very first cast, a barracuda whacked the lure hard and took off. I made sure I set the hook well as I did not want to lose this one. It put up a great fight against my high drag setting and 12-20lb casting setup. After a series of long heart-stopping runs, it finally tired enough for me to land it. I wanted to land it as fast as I could to increase its survival rate for the release, as cudas are not hardy fishes. Some quick photos and the fish was released, but not after a lengthy dehooking operation as all three hooks of the lure were stuck firmly on the fish. Moreover, all three prongs of one treble somehow managed to penetrate the underside of its jaw and we had to unhook the treble from the lure to free the fish. After spending some time reviving the cuda, it finally recovered enough energy to swim off. This beauty tipped my Boga scale at 9lbs.

Near the end of our trip, the buddy who lost a grouper at the start of the session, landed a fine table-sized grouper of about 1lb. A quick photo and it, too, was released. Photos of the grouper will be posted once I receive the file. Well done bro, we are happy you got your grouper in the end! :-D